Sunday, May 31, 2009

Run, Forest, Run!

It's been a few weeks since we started our training and things have been going great! A few Saturdays ago our honored teammate, Maya Cid, came to visit us at practice. What a beautiful little girl!! She came with her mother, sister and brother and was a typical 2-year old - joking around and getting into trouble. She stole her mother's car keys and kept purposely setting off the car alarm. It was hysterical. Her mother said that her chemo has been going well, and that she's not as sick as she once was. Maya is eating and playing well now... and getting into mischief! The Cid's were very thankful for our support. I can't speak for anyone else, but I ran a little harder that day.

Since then I've continued running on my own during the week. Jeff, Maddie and I took a vacation to Pennsylvania to see family and celebrate Maddie's 1st birthday. Jeff and I had the luxury of leaving Maddie with her grandparents while we ran along beautiful central Pennsylvania roads. We found an especially lovely road that paralleled a creek and eventually turned into a dirt trail through the woods. It was one of the most beautiful runs I've had in years. Ahh, it makes me miss the East Coast.

I missed yesterday's training run with the Team because we were traveling all day, but I made it up today. 5 miles. I had every intention of getting up at 7am and running, but I kind of slept in. Jeff got up with Maddie and I stayed in bed until 8:30. I finally headed out of the house at 9:30 and huffed and puffed my way around the Woodlands for 5 hot, humid miles. Two things I will not forget - 1. keep good breakfast food on hand (there was nothing in the house to eat because we had been gone for 9 days) and 2. BRING WATER. It's bad when you start getting chills because your body temperature is so high. Live and learn I suppose!

This coming week: we up our daily runs from 2 miles to 3 miles and a 6-miler on Saturday. Should be interesting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment