Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Let's Start From The Very Beginning...

So, here we are. Yet another blog. But this time it's not fluff about how cute my kid is (although I will, no doubt, slip that in on occasion). This one is important! There may very well be fluff to come, but the premise is serious.

I have signed up for Team In Training, a program that is part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The deal is this: I raise money for them and in turn they train me for an event. I could have picked a triathlon, a century ride (100 miles on a bike), a half marathon or a marathon. I chose to train for the adidas Dublin Marathon in Dublin, Ireland on October 26th. It will be my first marathon - I completed the San Fransisco half marathon in July 2 years ago. For those of you not familiar, a full marathon is 26.2 miles. Yes, TWENTY SIX point TWO! And, no, I'm not on drugs.

I'm not doing this because I'm a masochist. Actually I am, but that is not why I've decided to do this. I'm doing this in memory of my aunt Mary King Lyon - Sig. She lost her battle with Leukemia last November, although in the end she died of complications with her treatment. It is still hard to write that sentence because I always thought she'd be around. She had SO MUCH life and wisdom and beauty and I never imaged that could end. She was a constant. Something you can't imagine living without. She was the glue that held my family together. She touched everyone that she met.

And although her spark was rare, I'm sure that there are people around the world who have meaning to their loved ones the way she does to hers. And maybe their lives are in danger because of a blood cancer. And maybe the money that I raise can help find a cure, or help pay for medicine or counseling. Possibly someone will get to live with their 'Sig' for a little bit longer. I'd like to think that I DID something to impact someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment